EtherNet/IP in-cylinder rod style & profile style linear position sensors
Fast, Synchronous, and Precise Position Feedback
Balluff magnetostrictive linear position sensors are now available with a high performance Ethernet/IP interface. Linear position sensors in both in-cylinder rod style and external mount profile style satisfy application requirements across numerous applications and industries.
Most commonly the in-cylinder rod style sensors are used for position feedback of hydraulic cylinders for position monitoring and control in markets from automotive to energy to metalworking. Due to the acceptance of industrial Ethernet for factory automation applications, EtherNet/IP enabled linear positions sensors are now being installed in assembly, measurement and positioning applications in automotive tier suppliers, automated packaging equipment and metalworking machines.
Ethernet/IP is the most widely-adopted industrial fieldbus in North America, according to Scott Rosenberger, Product Marketing Manager for Balluff’s Measurement products. “The ability to provide direct Ethernet/IP connectivity with Balluff’s class-leading linear position sensors is big news”, says Rosenberger. “In addition, features such as integrated CIP-Sync™, and a built-in webserver set the Balluff Ethernet/IP linear position sensors ahead of the pack in the industrial sensing arena”.
Uniform, simple wiring, continuous diagnostics and central parameter setting via the controller are among the benefits of this linear position sensor with Ethernet/IP interface. The magnetostrictive system with Flexible Magnet Mode (FMM) allows you to work with up to 16 position magnets.
Two values can be output for each magnet: position and velocity. The sensor even automatically adapts itself to the number of magnets. This makes it easy to use in applications where a varying number of magnets is used.
The wide range of functions provides great flexibility in linear position measurement – for example in hydraulic cylinder control or level measurement.
Balluff Ethernet/IP linear position sensors offer the following features:
- In-cylinder rod style for hydraulic cylinder applications, and external-mount profile style for factory automation applications available
- Measuring lengths up to 7620 mm
- Position resolution of 1 µm
- Integrated webserver for simple, fast set-up, commissioning, and diagnostics
- Synchronous measurement value acquisition and data transmission with Ethernet/IP CIP sync
- Fast, precise absolute position and velocity measurement with 1 ?m resolution
- Simple and time-saving startup thanks to defined parameter substitution and flexible application tailoring
- Non-contact and wear-free, insensitive to contamination
- Available in profile- and rod-style