by Brent Raynor www.manuauto.com
RS-232 and RS-485 Port Test
Windows XP Setup
- Change the properties of the Local Area Connection.
- Go to Start,Settings, and then Network Connections.
- SelectLocal Area Connection andthenProperties.
- Scroll down the list and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).IfIP information is shownunderUse the following IP address, make sure to write it down before proceeding.
- Select Use the following IP address and enter an IP addressthat issimilar totheNPort 5110, except for the last two digits.
- Connectanethernet cross-over cable from the computer to the NPort 5150.
Moxa NPort Management Suite
- The first step is to configure the ethernet side of theNPort 5110.
- Open theNPort Management Suiteand select Configuration.
- Select the NPort (MAC Adress) andconfigure the settings.
- SelectNetworkand modify the IP Address, NetMask, and Gateway.
- SelectSerial, then select Modify, double clicktheinformation line and select theSettings.
- Set the baud rate to 9600, 8,N,1, No flow Control, enable FIFO. The Interface tab is eitherset toRS-232 or RS-485, 4 wire, depending on what signalis being tested.
- SelectOperation Mode, then select the Modify tab, double clicktheinformation line and selectView Settings tab. Set it for Real Com Mode.
- SelectOK and the settings will be updatedin the NPort 5110.
- The next step is to configurethe com port.
- SelectCOM Mappingand double clicktheinformation line to change the serial settings. If there is no information is shown, select Add Target.
- Select the NPort required and click OK.
- SelectBasicSettings and choose a com port.
- SelectSerial Parametersand set for 9600,8,N,1, no flow control.Click OK.
Reboot the computer at this point, before doing the loopback test.
HyperTerminal Loopback Test
- Jumperpins 2 to3on theMoxa NPort DE-311 DB9 com port.
- Pin 2 -> TXD Pin 3 -> RXD
- InWindows XP,go to start, programs,accessories,communications, and select HyperTerminal.
- Type aname for this project.
- Select the com port that was assigned inRealCOM Installer.
- Com port settings are 9600, 8, N, 1, None. Click OK.
- Type a message and it willappearon theHyperTerminalscreen. ThisconfirmstheRS-232 communication portworks accordingly. Test this procedure by removing the jumper. As you type, the characters will notappear on theHyperTerminalscreen.
- Jumperpins 2 to3 and1 to 4 on theMoxa NPort DE-311 DB9 com port usingtwopaperclips.
- Pin 2 -> RXD+(B) Pin 3 -> TXD+(B)
- Pin 1 -> RXD-(A) Pin4 -> TXD-(A)
- Repeatthe HyperTerminal Loopback Test.
At Manufacturers Automation Inc., we are dedicated to customer service and want to make your experience with Moxaa pleasant one.
© Copyright 2010, Manufacturers Automation Inc., www.manuauto.comManufacturers Automation Inc.1600 King Street NorthP.O. Box 602St. Jacobs, ON N0B 2NO800-387-6268 Tel. 519-664-3300 Tel. 519-664-1600 Fax.